Sunday, July 7, 2013

#ROW80 – 3RD QUARTER 2013, SUNDAY CHECK IN – MR. WIZARD'S HELP DESK

Ah, the lovely errors from nowhere. They pop up here and there, and everywhere, much like the Scarlet Pimpernel. They don't make a lick of sense and oftentimes, they either don't refer to whatever it was you were trying to do on your computer, or they aren't in anything that looks remotely like English. Some don't even qualify as a planetary language, I would wager, which is one of the very few vices I am heir to. So, I was tickled beyond the beyond (read: mystified-irked) when I received this charming little pop-up:


Nope, wasn't this one, although I've had it before...


Yes, it did encounter a problem. I killed it and it's minions 2 days before. Word was nowhere in sight and was haunting me from the dead...


Once upon a time, before Bill Gates got his greasy little mitts on it, it was a fairly decent program. Word is what we called "legacy" software. Bill bought a good but under-marketed product, screwed it all up and then foisted it upon the unsuspecting masses. I supported it at IBM and in Gastonia, NC and it was always a big, snarled up mess. 




I saw this exactly once on a system in Gastonia, NC when I worked for the PD and promptly disconnected the system from the Citrix network and locked it in a jail cell. That can't be legal, and I sure as hell didn't want it contaminating co-workers, the K-9s and the stray cats who seemed to show up and never leave..


This sounds almost Kafka-esque, or Nietzsche, if you will. One could also make an argument for Camus and Existentialism, or Ellison, "I Must Scream and Have No Mouth," if  one were so well-read and dramatic. Or, it could be the sense of humor these unhuman brutes have developed; scheming, scheming, as so many Cardinal Wolseys.


This is the actual error, or misunderstanding I am receiving. I've gotten to the point where it happens only after a cold boot. If you google this phrase "Your profile could not be, blah blah blah," You will find tons and loads of pissed off, frantic people, who know very little about the architecture of their systems and Google doesn't really seem concerned by this. I think it highly unfair that these people's concerns are not dealt with seriously or in a timely manner. That is the customer service part of me. The software Engineer part of me is just screaming, "FIX THE GODDAMNED THING!" But it's not that easy. No one uses the same platform and now we have iPhones, IPads, Macs, PCs, and gaming systems. There is no "one size fits all" for anything in software. We have not gotten to that point yet. But, the people's concerns should still be addressed. All the work-arounds in the world are not going to cure the problem.


My usual fabulous picture taking.  My desktop, with "Scotland Rising, and Sir Wiliiam Wallace" in the background." No java. Only a Windows framework, and as soon as I know more about Linux and MVWare Workstation, Windows is out.

There are four rules to trouble-shooting for computers. 1. Have you made any changes (added, changed, or deleted software) 2. Does it happen only in one application or does it happen in all applications? 3. Have you rebooted? 4. Are you able to duplicate the problem?


My IBM T-42 laptop, which I tear up regularly.  It's used for "white-hat" hacking and screwing around on, when I'm on the Quad. I have a Gateway in the other room. 

So, I read up on this "error" (which is just really shitty program-writing) on the “forums” that Google provides as this is a Chrome error. Why it happened, I have no idea, because I'm in Chrome all day, and for some reason, Chrome just basically told me to go to hell. These “forums” have a bunch of people bitching and my particular problem is listed and has been around for years. Way to go, Google! Glad you got right on this bastard and fixed it.


Another fix is to uninstall my AVG. Yeah,  as if.

So, what I derive from their “help” is that I'm supposed to navigate my way to %appdata%User\Local Settings\Application Data\Chrome\User Data\ and somewhere in this is supposed to be either a Default folder or a Profile folder. Great. Hooray. Yippee. So, I start pissing around with this and I found out a lot of interesting stuff, none of which had a damned thing to do with Chrome, but it was time for a house cleaning, so I got rid of a bunch of stuff that I never use and come with a pre-loaded system, like this AMD Quad Core I have (I'm getting another.)

At this point, the thing doesn't even look like or act like Windows Vista anymore, which is fine with me. I finally get to the Chrome folder which is nowhere near Application Data, it's under Program Files on my system. I have to kind of sit and look at this and think it through for a minute. While I'm doing this, I reach behind me, and stick my right hand down on the bed. Immediately, a small furry, rumbly cranium proceeds to wallow all over my hand, as Mama pets herself, sort of. She's my "assistant" and hard to resist.


Of course, what pictures of my cat, Mama be complete without my stupid shadow in the way, or a finger in the lens. I am abysmal and have no talent whatsoever when it comes to taking picture of anything. So, when it comes to taking pictures of a live creature, the suckage factor is increased by 144. At least you can see her!



She and I zone for a minute, while I puzzle this through. I have 4 profiles, I can't change them. There are 2 Defaults. Something happened and one is dated earlier today. Bingo. I rename it Default old, and proceed to back out of architecture. It fixed the problem, for about 2 days. It's now back, but it's not a show-stopper. It's giving me what I want though, so the hell with it. I just click through the errors, there are only 2, instead of the 28 I was getting. Seriously though, Google needs to get it's act together. A publishing house that big needs to have rock-solid support and they really don't.

===================================

Oh yeah, goals, I have started putting the memoirs of my life together, starting with from when I was Homeless. I am actually starting from the very moment I realized I had some neurological problem and working backwoad. Typed approximately 1700 words last night. Tomorrow on Monday, I get some sort of diagnosis. I'm going in with no expectations, PD and ET are elusive bitches. So, we'll see!




5 comments:

Tia Bach said...

Technology is such a necessity, but man can it be a pain in the rump! Hope your appointment goes well and provides you with some answers.

ViolaFury said...

Tia,

Thank you, so much. It provided answers along with more questions. I get the distinct feeling that all of this brain-body stuff is like that. The saving grace, is that my Dr. is as committed to finding an answer as I am, or at least within spitting distance. Sometimes, it just isn't meant to be; if I get some relief, that's great! Thanks for coming by!

Unknown said...

Next time I get an error message, I'm coming to you for help. You dig around and FIND. SHIT. OUT. That's pretty effing cool, Mary.

Glad to hear your doctor is keeping pace. Love reading your updates, even if I don't always speak up. Love and kisses, my darling!!! xoxo

ViolaFury said...

@Andi,

Sorry to be so late getting back to you. One of the side-effects of this medicine is sleeping, especially when I first "power up." Basically, going from 1/2 gram to 3/4, then a week later from 3/4 to 1. I'm really kinda stuck on 1 mg right now because I just want to sleep. My doctors are awesome. My primary doctor was all smiles last week; I have made terrific progress and she's tickled and so am I. I had a celebratory nap.

I know you read and don't always comment, it's okay. You are busy, busy, busy, with Jesse, family and writing and at this time of life, that's how it should be. But, I know you're there, all of you.

I find shit out, because I have a degree in this shit, as well as my music shit (believe me, I've played some shit.) I've about decided that I am going to continue to blog and take on longer, more complicated computer fixes. I'm building an arsenal of tools (also for hacking... shhh, but it's white hat) So, no worries. It's just awesome when you stop by and visit! You are my love! xoxox

ViolaFury said...

@Tia,

I am sorry, this is so late. Technology wouldn't be so bad, if the programmers wrote software that worked, and putting it back on the users to figure out their own fix is not customer support; it's okay, it gives me something to do!

It went very well at my doctor and I found out that I do not have PD, but I have ET, or essential tremor, which is every bit as taxing as PD, but the drugs are very different. I am on Primidone, which is a sedative and you start out taking it in very small doses, and increase each week. I'm up to one full milligram now. The only downside is I want to sleep all the time, but I'm not complaining. This is so much better than the other. My primary doctor was very pleased with my progressed when she saw me last week, so I'll be back to bothering everyone again. Thank you so very much for your concern, Tia, and thank you for visiting!